Shawnigan Cemetery is an outreach mission of Sylvan United that began over 50 years ago – and continues today. It is a community resource for anyone who wishes to be interred there.
- In the late 1940’s and early 1950’s the community of Shawnigan Lake wanted to establish a cemetery.
• Discussions, negotiations and planning went on for years – the major stumbling block was that the BC Utilities Board required an “organized body” to oversee the management of the Cemetery.
• Shawnigan Lake United Church was the only “organized body” that stepped up and agreed to participate.
• Shawnigan Cemetery and the Board of Trustees of Sylvan United Church have a unique relationship which allows for the oversight of the management of Shawnigan Cemetery for the community.
• A team from the Malahat Lion’s Club has faithfully maintained the grounds of the Cemetery for more than fifteen years.
For further information:
- Contact Roy Davies, administrator, 250-929-6100.
PO Box 528
Shawnigan Lake BC V0R 2W0